The backbone to any solid HR foundation is built up through good policies and practices. This page provides you a comprehensive overview of policies, practices and bigger picture studies that inform the development of any new policy.
- HR Management Standards - "The HR Council's HR Management Standards are designed to support board members, managers and employees in the development and implementation of effective HR policies and practices for nonprofit organizations." HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Sample HR Policies - A comprehensive list of HR policies from the HR Sector Council
- 20 Questions Directors of Not-for-Profit Organizations Should ask About Human Resources - Chartered Accountants of Canada
Recruitment, Dismissal and Sucession
- Employment Contracts for Charities & Nonprofits - Carters Professional Corporation
- Getting the right people - HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Sample Interview Questions - HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Nonprofit hiring tools : Sample interview questions - CharityVillage
- Sample Questions for References - HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Sample Letter of Offer - HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Recruiting Guidelines - Law Help Ontario
Recruitment of Senior Staff
- Hiring the Right Executive Director for your Organization: One size does not fit all. - Board Development Program Alberta
- Hiring and performance appraisal of the executive director: a self-guided workbook - Heather Halpenny and Joan Heys Hawkins. Muttart Foundation
- Hiring a director for a nonprofit agency : a step-by-step guide -Kurt J. Jenne, Margaret Henderson. University of North Carolina.
For information on developing employment contracts, see the Legislation & Liability page.
- Employment termination - HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- The Ins & Outs of Wrongful Dismissal for Charities & Nonprofits Carters Professional Corporation
- Just Cause for Employee Dismissal: What Employers Need to Know Carters Professional Corporation
- Succession planning : often requested, rarely delivered - Paul Cantor. London, Ont. Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, 2005
- Staying engaged, stepping up : succession planning and transition management for nonprofit boards of directors. - The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2006.
- Succession Planning - HR Toolkit from the HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Diversity at work - HR Toolkit from the HR Council for the Nonprofit Sector
- Board diversity training : a toolkit (Pillar Nonprofit Network, 2008)
Big Picture: for managers and executives
- Toward a labour force strategy for Canada's voluntary & non-profit sector (Report Series) HR Council for the Voluntary & Non-profit Sector, c2008. Access the full findings: Report #2 & Report #3
- Better together : a shared HR services framework for non-profit organizations - HR Council for the Voluntary and Non-profit Sector, 2009
- Exploring the looming leadership deficit in the voluntary and nonprofit sector (Toupin, 2007)