Narrative Tool Kit: Tools to start a New Conversation about charities and nonprofits
The Narrative is a resource to help charity and nonprofit leaders start a new conversation about our sector in Canada. It outlines who we are, what we do and how we are making a difference.
Feel free to share and use any of this information if it is helpful in your own work.
The Core Resource is a tool that looks at the size and impact of the sector and helps rethink the use of ‘overhead’ as a measure of success.
The Issue Sheets are tools to give you talking points and facts about hot issues such as: compensation, fundraising costs, and other points to advocate our impact.
These quick-to-read information sheets provide context, key messages and supporting facts of the issues at hand.
We are Canada’s charities and nonprofits: Videos
These videos show a glimpse of some of our organizations in action and serve as an invitation to lean more about Canada's charities and nonprofits. Videos are available in 30 and 60 second versions.
Thank you to Imagine Canada's members who have given us permission to use their photos in our work. To see the full photo collection and additional information visit our Flickr collection.
Imagine Canada (the umbrella organization for Canada’s charities and nonprofits) worked in partnership with other organizations to create the Narrative.
The following articles and blog posts have been identified to provide additional information and/or highlight discussions complementary to the Narrative.
- Creating Better Public Policy: The Roles of Canadian Charities, Allan Northcott
- Balancing Evidence and Compassion-based Approaches to Making a Difference, Brian Emmett
- Bigfoot, charity expenses and other urban legends, Stephen Faul
- Canada’s Evolution and the Charitable Sector as its Steward, Brian Emmett
- Charities and Nonprofits a Strategic Component to Canada’s Success, Brian Emmett
- Perception and trust: can marketing communications help with public trust in charities?, Marnie Grona
- Redefining ourselves: Building a foundational narrative for the nonprofit sector, Michelle Jondreau
- The weight of a television set and measuring results in the charitable sector, Brian Emmett
- Trust in Charities. We need to talk., Marcel Lauzière
Please feel free to connect with us if you have any suggestions or feedback.
We wish to acknowledge financial support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario, The J.W. McConnell Family Foundation and the Agora Foundation.