- Human resources
- Boards of directors
Twenty questions directors of not-for-profit organizations should ask about human resources
Also available in French under title: 20 questions que les administrateurs d’organismes sans but lucratif devraient poser sur les ressources humaines
Table of contents :
1. What are the responsibilities of the board of directors with respect to human resources?
2. How should the board organize itself to discharge these responsibilities?
PART A—The Executive Director Relationship
3. How does the board select an Executive Director?
4. What is the board’s responsibility for managing and supporting the Executive Director?
5. How should the board address succession planning for the Executive Director?
6. What happens when the board decides to replace the Executive Director?
7. How does the board approve the compensation philosophy for the organization?
8. How does the board set the compensation of the Executive Director?
9. What is the board’s responsibility for the oversight of pensions?
10. What should the organization disclose about its executive compensation?
PART C—Oversight of Organizational Policies and Practices
11. How does the board set the tone at the top?
12. How does the board oversee the organization’s human resources strategy and policies?
13. What relationships may exist between the organization and individuals providing services?
14. Why is accurate classification and documentation of relationships important?
15. What is the board’s responsibility for compliance with employment laws and regulations?
16. What are the potential liabilities of directors with respect to employees?
17. What should the board of directors know about terminating employment relationships?
18. How is the employment relationship different in a unionized environment?
19. How should the board oversee the organization’s use of independent contractors?
20. How should the board oversee the organization’s use of volunteers?
Chartered Accountants of Canada
NPO 20 Questions Series